If operations manuals are not updated to reflect changing processes and procedures, and then efficiently communication to your network your franchisees are missing out on the most up to date information and current best practices.
You are also failing to deliver the service level agreement of the franchise system which can lead to major problems for all involved.
We are seeing a shift towards online delivery of operations manuals and communications for franchisees. The online manuals and communication forums would ideally be accessed via a smart phone, tablet, laptop or pc and gives franchisees, and their staff, access to the most current information at all times while allowing for updates to be made as new information is made available.
In today’s digital world online platforms can provide a hub for communication and information which allows franchisees to search for relevant policies, procedures, forms and templates; allows efficient updating by the franchisor; customised user level controls and also the ability to track access.
For some systems online platforms are less practical, or feasible, so when assessing the ideal delivery method for your system’s operations manuals, there is much to consider:
- Are your franchisees typically more tech-savvy or tecno-phobe?
- The value your business places on being ahead of the pack with technological innovation.
- The format of your business - be it mobile, retail store, retail kiosk, hospitality, etc. - may impact your franchisees ability to access a device when the need arises.
- Will there be a need for print and digital options?
- If your franchise induction program and other training springboards from your operational manuals, logistically how will that work
- The environment - i.e. not having to print hundreds of pages of manuals for every franchisee and therefore saving paper, ink, etc.