- August 12, 2019
- Posted by: FCBS
- Category: Marketing
Advertising campaigns are critical to the success of your business. If you have a new product or service, then you need to promote it and entice customers to buy or use it. Even if you don’t have new products or services, brand campaigns are important to stay top of mind. Your advertising campaign needs to be SMART: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely. Digital marketing and traditional channels such as TV, radio and print are highly competitive, so consider these six points before launching an ad campaign.
Purpose and strategy
Identify the purpose of your advertisement. Is it to drive more traffic to your website, sell a specific product, get more customers or to increase brand awareness? What strategy will help you meet your objective? Your advertising campaign must:
- Help your business stand out from your competitors. A generic message, such as Get Fit This Spring, may get lost in the deluge of marketing messages.
- Be measurable and realistic. Aiming for 50 to 70 new customers is probably more achievable than aiming for 1000 over the course of a month.
- Align with your company’s long-term goals and marketing plan.
Set a budget
Determine what you can afford and what you are willing to spend on your advertising campaign. Some advertising options are more competitive and expensive than others. It is critical to select methods that will enable you to reach the right audience. You could consider one of these options:
- Set a small initial budget and then increase it as necessary.
- Find out where and how your competitors are advertising (print, radio, online, direct mail, etc.) and work out how much money you would need to spend to compete with them.
- Use a digital objective-based payment method (such as the click through rate over a 30-day period) to ensure payments are only made when specific actions are taken.
To get the most bang for your buck, you need to know your target. Your method and strategy will be different if you’re selling hearing aids to elderly customers rather than skateboards to teenagers. Social media analytics is a way of determining your customer base. Make sure you:
- Know the demographic most likely to be interested in your product or service.
- Direct your advertising message to this target market.
- Use a tone and content that suits the audience.
The channel or channels you choose need to align with your target audience and campaign goal. If you have a home services business, advertising in the local paper and letterbox drops may work for elderly customers. But if you want to attract Millennials, you often need to target them through social media. It’s critical to remember the following advertising channel considerations:
- Advertising consistency is important as different encounters, or touchpoints, can change the way customers or potential customers feel about your products, brand, business or service.
- For new customers, it can take more than seven touchpoints to get a conversion.
- It is important to familiarise yourself with the channel you’ve chosen and examine what imagery, information and targets have worked well in previous campaigns.
Be clear and concise
Your advertising campaign needs to be clear, concise and consistent. Someone who is unfamiliar with your products or service needs to have a basic understanding of your business after seeing your advertisement.
- Make sure the campaign represents your company’s values and is inextricably linked to your brand. You don’t want your advertisements being attributed to a competitor.
- Create content that commands attention from your audience and leaves them wanting more, with an image, question or offer that requires them to take action.
- If using multiple platforms, such as Facebook, radio advertising and YouTube, ensure your message is consistent. Repetition is gold!
Set up performance tracking methods and utilise them throughout the campaign. The advantage of digital advertising is that you can track results from the outset, and the campaigns can be tweaked and improved. Make sure you know how your advertising is garnering customer attention and what is prompting people to buy or book a service.
Once the campaign has concluded, undertake a comprehensive review to ensure your next advertising campaign is bigger and better!
If you would like assistance setting up your next advertising and marketing campaign then we’d love to help you through it, Contact FC Business Solutions at firstname.lastname@example.org.